16332: anonymous: help the poor

For one thing it is clear that we all agree that Poverty and the need for
food
in Haiti is a real issue.  However,  it is not a new problem.  It was when
was a child about 40 years ago, and for the whole community , where I grew
up.
I remember my family and others in the area getting some "manje sinistre"
from
a church not too far, sometimes.  But people still continued to starve and
ate
once in a while.  Perhaps, the situation was not as bad as it is today.
Food
for the Poor and others existed. But the food shortage, and the poverty
continued.

Yes, it is essential and important to respond to a crisis in the short
term,
but there must be, concurrently, a long term plan articulated, that is
capable
of doing away with the problem.  In my view too, it is not either/or.
Yes,
let's give him/her the fish today as to prevent the person to die of
hunger,
But once s/he has eaten, let us show the person how to catch a fish the
next
time so s/he doesn't have to wait for us.
I hope we are also well aware that the world's food supply ( whether the
genetically-enhanced and produced or otherwise)  isn't really diminishing.
It's just not shared.  And, it is a game that's being played.  Poor
Haiti...
Since "moun ki kontwole vant ou kontwole batmann ke (coeur)"

anonymous