16339: (Hermantin)Miami Herald-Hungry for some playing time (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Wed, Aug. 06, 2003

Hungry for some playing time
UM's Joseph sheds 30 pounds in an effort to regain starting job
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
sdegnan@herald.com

No more middle-of-the-night Taco Bell trips for Carlos Joseph. No more large
sausage and pepperoni pizzas -- at one time.

''Now, it's the new Carlos,'' said a streamlined 6-6, 318-pound Joseph, who
lost 30 pounds this summer in a renewed commitment to become the best
University of Miami left tackle he could be.

He also lost his starting job.

Joseph was formerly part of the duo nicknamed the Haitian Sensations before
his older brother, defensive tackle William Joseph, left for the NFL's New
York Giants. But now the sensation of the offensive line seems to be
sophomore Eric Winston, a 6-7, 305-pound star-in-the-making with brute
strength and the smarts to match.

For Joseph, a senior, going from second-team Big East to backup has driven
the svelte version of his old self to do whatever he can to get back the
edge. He's feeling invigorated after two strong days of practice, and he
sure isn't the last one to finish during the Greentree Field sprints that
end each session.

''Carlos Joseph had a phenomenal day Monday and a great day today,'' coach
Larry Coker said. ``His weight is down and I'm very encouraged.''

Joseph, a Miamian who is the son of Haitian immigrants Ducange Joseph and
Marie Fernand, is equally pleased. ''Last year I was like 348 and I felt
kind of heavy,'' he said. ``It took me about a month in a summer workout of
running and lifting and conditioning to lose the weight. I feel quicker now
and don't get tired as much.

``I feel light.''

In 2002, when Joseph took over for Outland Trophy winner Bryant McKinnie,
the challenge was, naturally, daunting. McKinnie never gave up a sack during
his college career, which was a hard enough act to emulate. But to add to
the stress, Joseph had some problems grasping the intricacies of his
position, and then found himself losing focus during games.

''Sometimes I'd lose sight of the game and my mind would wander somewhere
else,'' Joseph said. ``If I'm not in the game, I need to be watching what
the other guys are doing.''

Offensive line coach Art Kehoe said he has faith in Joseph. ''Carlos is
really in great shape,'' he said. ``[Strength and conditioning assistant
coach] Victor Ishmael kind of pulled him aside in the strength room and did
a lot of work with him on playing lower and getting his weight down so he
could use his leverage a lot better.

``I'm excited about his attitude. He's playing both tackles, and there's no
doubt he's going to play every game.''

Joseph said he gets along well with Winston but isn't sure how he'll take
being the sixth man should he fail to win back his starting job. ''I really
don't know how I'm going to feel, to be honest,'' he said. ``I'm just
telling myself I have to practice and play harder.''

And eat less.

Joseph's love for food has been well documented. At the traditional ''Beef
Bowl,'' an eating-fest before the 2002 Rose Bowl game in Pasadena, Calif.,
he ate five one-pound prime ribs.

''I don't know how he eats that much,'' William Joseph said last season. ``I
just ate one.''

He was at it again before the Fiesta Bowl last January. ``Before the bowl
game I was gaining weight like crazy, eating a lot of fats. I'd go home and
order two boxes of large Domino's Pizza -- one sausage and one pepperoni --
and chicken wings. Then I'd eat it all by myself. I'd wake up and still keep
eating. I'd go out and stop by a 24-hour Taco Bell and order mostly
everything on the menu at like 4 in the morning -- eight chalupas, two
Mexican pizzas.

``I'd eat crazy sometimes.''

Strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey said the players are educated
about eating the proper food and are served that food at team meals. It's
the nighttime, he said, that sometimes plagues the largest ones.

''They're told about eating right,'' he said. ``But when you're outside of
our realm, you can't go order pizza at midnight.''

Joseph said he's now eating three meals a day, and never after 8 p.m. He
eats lots of fruit, salad and protein.

Nowadays, his hunger has more to do with winning the title.

''My goals are to graduate and go to New Orleans for the [Sugar Bowl]
national championship and get that ring,'' said Joseph, who is expected to
earn his degree in criminology after the spring semester. 'I told myself,
`You've got to lose some weight and show them you can run.' I'll get in my
share of playing time.''