16365: Raber: Re: 16334: Louissant: Re:16327: Raber: Helping the poor (fwd)

From: P&M Raber <raber@valkyrie.net>

I guess what I meant is that it is a feature of under-development when a
great number of non-profits are performing tasks that should be done by
governements:  providing elementary school education, clean water, access to
health care(I stress access since in many parts of Haiti, even if people had
money they still would  have no access), feeding huge numbers of starving
people etc...  In the States, non-profits tend to fill in the gaps left by
the government or they step in to help after natural or man-made disasters.

As far as regulation is concerned, until the government of Haiti can
regulate itself, they will never be able to regulate non-profits.  Haiti has
many many laws and rules on the books but they are at best not enforced and
at worst completely disregarded by the very people who should set the
example.