16369: erasmus: questionnaire

From: erasmus <erasumustom@sympatico.ca>

[Please respond direction to Tom Reeves at:
erasumustom@sympatico.ca -- do not just hit the return button.
thanks,  Bob Corbett]

Two months ago I was asked to contribute a chapter to the
book Haiti Report will bring out this year on US policy toward Haiti
- mine will be "Notes on the U.S. Haiti Solidarity Movement."   I
sent a questionnaire to about 100 solidarity activists around the US,
and I've now received some kind of response (ranging from a few words
to forty pages) from about 25.  Unfortunately, many want to remain
"anonymous" in their comments - this includes those who are "pro" and
those who are "anti" Aristide.  There is, as I'm sure you know far
better than I, a lot of anger, pain and fear among us.

I should have put the questionnaire on your site so that any and all
could respond.  Now it's probably too late - my ultimate deadline is
next Monday, Aug. 18.  But if you think some would respond quickly,
please circulate it.

I am focusing on NON-HAITIAN groups and individuals active in the
U.S. (not international) Haiti Solidarity Movement.

Tom Reeves
514-525-7098 (always here til 11:30 am, EST - leave message if I'm on
the line.)

SUMMARY QUESTIONS:  (Anyone may speak ON the record or OFF - be
specific about which you want and whether for all your replies or
only some.)

1.  How did YOU get involved in Haiti solidarity work - and WHEN? Specifics.
2.  What is your organization (People to People) and what is the
nature of its work?
3.  Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses and size of the movement in
the late 1980s, 1991, 1995, 2000 and today.
4.  When did the "splits" begin in the movement and why?  What was a
turning point in your opinion with regard to the divisions and
differences?
5. What do you think are prospects for continuing solidarity movement
with the people of Haiti and their struggle for democracy and justice?

FULL QUESTIONNAIRE

NAME:
GROUP(S):
CONTACT INFO:  Off or On the Record?:

1.  Personal Info:  Give as much personal background as you wish and
think relevant:  your work and professional life, your other
activism, history of other solidarity work, church or union or
movement connections - age, ethnicity, gender (all only if you wish).
2.  When did you first become interested in Haiti or visit Haiti?
3.  How did you personally become involved in Haiti solidarity work?
4.  What is the name of your solidarity organization or network, and
how/when did it get started?
5.  Give a brief chronological outline of your own and your group's
Haiti solidarity work, including visits to Haiti, encounters with
Aristide, etc.
6.  Please give names and contact information for others in your group.
7.  Please give names and contact information of other solidarity
networks and organizations - and of other kinds of groups (churches,
unions, political parties, etc.) which supported Haiti solidarity
work.
8.  How would you characterize the "state of the Haiti solidarity movement" in
		1987, 1991, 1995, 2000, Today
9.  What are the main strengths and weaknesses of your own solidarity
work and that of your group?
10.  What have been the main strengths and weaknesses of the Haiti
solidarity movement as a whole?
11.  What divisions have you seen among Haiti solidarity groups and
leadership and what has caused these divisions?
12.  Characterize the relationship between the Haiti solidarity
movement and the 10th Department?
13.  Characterize the relationship between the Haiti Solidarity
movement and the "grass roots community organizations" or "base" in
Haiti.
14.  Characterize the relationship between the solidarity movement
and the government of Haiti, especially Aristide (and/or Preval).
15.  What has been the role of the media - both alternative and
mainstream - in influencing the solidarity movement, including its
divisions?
16.  What has been the role of the US government and its
disinformation in influencing the solidarity movement, including its
divisions?
17.  Where is the solidarity movement headed today - and what ought
to be its priorities?