16426: HCR Info: Symposium One in Atlanta: Saturday, October 4, 2003 (fwd)

From: HCR Information <hcrinfor@hcronline.org>

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen:

Everything is running smooth for:
Symposium One in Atlanta

>From time to time I will send the synopsis of various
topics and this will help you in the Q&A section.

Today, I introduce to you a Team that has just
completed an outstanding project in Haiti.

Again feel free to invite others to the Symposium

Please mark this date in your calendar:
October 4, 2003.

Symposium One in Atlanta
Saturday, October 4, 2003
South Cobb Recreation Center
875 Six Flags Dr, Austell, GA 30168
For more info, please fire an Email to Mr. Alfred via
hcrinfor@hcronline.org
---

Ms. Guirlaine Celius and members of Haiti Community
Development Inc. (HCDI)will be presenting a project
that they recently completed entitled  "Solar-Powered
Wireless Internet Access for Rural Education".

Synopsis:

Sustainable Development ultimately depends on the
empowerment of human resources, and education is the
fundamental tool that can help people help themselves.
 Since 1997, HCDI has built and maintained a modern
elementary school facility in the rural town of
Bongnotte.  The school, Academie Henri Christophe can
provide schooling for 300 children.  Our
"Solar-Powered Wireless Internet Access for Rural
Education" project demonstrates how technology can be
used to support educational needs in rural and under
resourced regions throughout the world.

We will discuss how Haiti Community Development
Inc.,(HCDI), is using solar energy to power wireless
Internet communication equipment and other audio
visual equipment to connect rural schools to the
Internet and to provide nightly adult literacy and
skill building programs.  This Internet access can
enable liaisons between Haitian community centers and
schools in the U.S to schools in Haiti. Such programs
can serve to enrich the educational experience of both
communities and extend the children's horizon via this
multicultural exchange.   Internet access along with
various audio visual-based programs will enable us to
partner with community centers and professionals in
the Haitian Diaspora to support literacy, knowledge
transfer, and marketable skills development programs.
----
----

For your lodging:
Atlanta is a great place to live but the traffic is a
nightmare; so, it is recommended to stay close to the
symposium. During that time of the year, this area is
a little expensive since it is close (walking
distance) to Six-Flags.

Those of you who are Scholars/Students traveling to
Atlanta this weekend, you may get a good deal with
Travelodge: 4265 Shirley Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30336
Please call Mr. Tan 404-606-1717 or email
tan_msu@hotmail.com
1 Bedroom $ 39.99+ Tax    ;   2 Bedrooms $49.99 + Tax

Microtel Inn: 5300 South Cobb Drive, Smyrna, GA 30080
Please ask for Mr. Ash 404-799-7000 or email
mismyrna@jhmhotels.com
For 2 nights: 2Bedrooms  $ 45 +Tax a night; 1 Bedroom
$ 40 +Tax a night
For 1 night : 2 Bedrooms $ 50 +Tax a night; 1 Bedroom
$ 45.00 + Tax a night

Sleep Inn: 125 South Service Road; Austell, Georgia
30168
1 Room 69.99 + Tax (roughly 79.99)  (2 nights =
$158.18)
Call 770-819-2805

NB: if you are renting a car to travel to Atlanta or
at the airport you can use this code and you will
receive a discount from Alamo and you are entitled to
one free additional driver anywhere in the in world
and you can use it for your own leisure.
Rate Code: BY; I.D. Number: 706768

( Also, you may take that opportunity to visit some
important sites in Atlanta, Carter Presidential
Library, MLK center, Coca Cola, CNN… , Buckhead and
ipso facto explore the beauty of the newest capital of
the south; we can help you plan a weekend in Atlanta.
If you are traveling by plane, please make your
reservation early to have some discounts, the Atlanta
market is booming after the Olympic, so if you are
renting an automobile please do so as soon as possible
and don’t forget to use our Rate code and I.D. above)

Again, we are waiting for you; please the Lodging rate
above is specially negotiated for you, some of them
are one third of the actual cost.

So long,
Joseph Alfred, Educator
P.O. BOX 334, Smyrna, GA 30081