16431: Karshan: Senator Gilles explains scheduling of elections (Radio Metropole) (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Radio Metropole

Haiti's ruling party firm in decision to hold elections outside OAS
resolution
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Aug 18, 2003

[Announcer] The Lavalas regime does not want to reverse its electoral plan
for the end of this year to prevent, as they say, an institutional void in
January.

The parliament and the government are firm in their decision to hold
elections within or outside the framework of OAS [Organization of American States]
Resolution 822.

Influential Senator Gerald Gilles, who was one of our guests on the Encounter
Programme, stresses the urgency for the government to set the electoral
process in motion. Gilles invites the opposition and civil society to take their
place on board the electoral train, all the while evoking the sovereign
character of the Haitian State to start or not to start elections. Gilles speaks as
follows:

[Gilles - recording] The electoral act is an act of national sovereignty. We
must recognize that today we need the big nations just as those big nations
need the small nations for the sake of globalization either at the economic or
democratic levels.

But I also know that the international community knows very well that in all
democratic systems elections must take place in order to reinforce a country's
democratic structures.

I can understand that, if the United States stands to say that the opposition
must take part in the Provisional Electoral Council [CEP]. We hear what they
say. But what is important is that the Haitian nation wants elections in order
to prevent an institutional void.

Respecting the minority is a democratic principle. But one must be careful,
because the minority should also respect the principles that allow the holding
of elections.

[Rotchild Francois Jr] So, at the level of the Lavalas Family [FL], are you
all ready to take upon yourself the responsibility of the new crisis that will
be created with the holding of those elections, according to analysts'
forecasts?

[Gilles] Let me tell you sincerely that in the FL we firmly believe, as
French singer Mike Brandt said, "we should fight with firmness". We did that in May
2000. The May 2000 elections were contested.

Today, we have managed to vote on accords and loan agreements, and there has
been an unblocking at the IADB [Inter-American Development Bank].

And the IADB was able to do so because of our austerity and our management of
public affairs. Elections are going to take place. They will be contested by
that minority, unfortunately, but they will be supported by the Haitian
people, as was the case in May 2000.

There will be accords and loan agreements to vote on, and we will vote on
them. And, once again, we will fight and resist. As it is said, life is an
everyday struggle.

We will fight so that the international community, the Americans, the
Canadians and the French will respect the unshakable willingness of a people such as
the Haitian people who can resist.

Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1145 gmt 18 Aug 03

© BBC Monitoring