16467: ClaBas1: Christian Fundamentalism (fwd)

From: CLaBas1@aol.com

I read the original forwarding of Terry Snow's message from Haiti and it disgusted me.  And I thought "just let it go, everyone who reads it will dismiss it as nonsense."  But I can't stop thinking about the tone of moral self-justification.  As a devout Christian myself, I'm just so embarrassed by messages like this!  I have a group of Haitian friends here in NY.  They visit home several times a year, and the families in Haiti practice Voudou.  They're all wonderful, hard-working, intelligent people.  They certainly don't need to be "Shown the Way" by the likes of me, or anyone else.

Terry Snow and Patty Cunningham terrify me.  What a message of hate and intolerance!

And Terry, stop all the self-congratulations.  Just because a bunch of people flocked around to shoot off fireworks one night, and the town is going to allow you to erect a slab of stone (can we forget all the Biblical references to graven images??) you haven't won what you seem to think of as the great battle between Voudou and Christianity.   I think it was Garrison Keiller who said "Calling yourself a Christian because you go to church is like calling yourself a car because you sleep in a garage."

Christine LaBastille