16480: Durban: Reply to Dorce: what sort of jobs?

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Kathy Dorce writes:
   Wouldn't it be great if more people were able to enter the middle class
   and strengthen it?  All it would take is some decent education and some
   decent jobs (not manufacturing!).

Hmm, decent jobs (not manufacturing??  Can you please give us some idea of
what you have in mind.  Besides manufacturing, I am assuming you are not
talking about domestic household jobs, probably not street vendor
positions, possibly not peasant farming.  So then what kind of jobs could
realistically be found in Haiti which would make more than a minor dent in
the massive unemployment one finds in Haiti?  My point is that if you
write off "manufacturing" jobs as somehow being "not worthy", there really
isn't much else.

Lance Durban