16488: Chamberlain: new version of IRI, Stanley Lucas and Aristide's assets (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

Apologies for my earlier post today with this heading.  It was an
incomplete version sent in error.  Here's the proper version.

_______________

Nearly a month ago, Stanley Lucas, of the International Republican
Institute (IRI), invited Corbetteers to take part in a new website, saying
Haitians needed "access to accurate information."

Charles Arthur then asked him to provide "accurate information" about the
amount of money IRI had spent on the Democratic Convergence, and when and
why.

I seconded this and also appealed to pro-government Corbetteers to tell us
why Aristide refuses to obey the law requiring him to declare his assets to
parliament, noting the contradiction with the Lavalas ideal of
"transparence" (openness).

I remarked that a deafening silence had traditionally greeted such
"difficult" questions in Corbettland and wondered whether this would be the
case this time around.

It is now nearly a month later and there has been total silence from both
Lucas and government PR person Michelle Karshan on these important matters.

I can only conclude that both sides clearly have something to hide and are
being deliberately dishonest.  Why should we listen to a word either Lucas
or Karshan utter
here in the future if such simple requests for information remain
unanswered?

        Greg Chamberlain