16507: Chamberlain: re 16490: Karshan (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

MKarshan@aol.com wrote:

> Greg, as you well know I am not the government PR person, nor am I an
attorney, nor am I a lobbyist, as various posts on this list allege.  I am
merely the
FOREIGN PRESS LIAISON and only post on the Corbett list as a courtesy.

Michelle, as you are an official part of the government's public relations
team, it seems reasonable to hope for answers to some questions about its
actions.  Indeed you have often spoken up for the government here, given
precise pointers to things, clarified matters that have arisen and taken
part in various debates.  Your presence in Corbettland is, I'm sure,
welcomed by many (certainly by me) and the info and media articles you post
are useful.

So it was quite reasonable to note your "silence" in this matter of
Aristide's non-declaration of his assets.  I don't know why noting this is
"highly suspect" or how asking such key questions can fairly be dismissed
as "grandstanding."

Anyway, thanks for replying, even though we aren't much wiser about the
issue in hand.

Stanley Lucas is still silent about Charles Arthur's questions to him about
IRI.  Perhaps he could at least tell us why he can't or won't answer the
questions, even as he invites us to trust the IRI's new online forum.  Both
sides talk about "transparency" (openness) but as so often (Haiti, US,
anywhere) it quickly becomes clear that that's the last thing they want and
the very thing they most fear.

        Greg Chamberlain