16510: Zachary: Re: 16495: Nicole: Re: 16483: Dorce: Re: 16444: Zachary: Re: negative comments on Christian missionaries (fwd)

From: Lori Zachary <lorirn@hotmail.com>

I agree with this and the other e-mail you sent.  I am convinced that
actions speak louder than words in any country or culture (whether negative
or postive).  I don't know Snow or YWAM, so I can't speak for that group.
But I really feel that the blanc "across the street" did.  If the best that
a group can do is give a little light to study from, then they should
refocus or get out.  It is so heartbreaking to hear of any group leaving
such a negative impact on an individual or zone.  I have found that most
negative comments and persecution actually comes from fellow missionaries on
the field, so I really apologize if my previous e-mail was written from
emotion.  I just had a hard time with post (I forget the name) that told
Americans and missionaries to get out of the country.  Sorry, I deleted it
so I don't have the exact quote.  Anyway, I don't want to get on my soap
box.
The real reason I'm writing today is to be a little more specific with my
past request.  I am wanting to hear stories of projects that are working,
really working, to improve lives, business, or land.  For example, we
(Haitians, Peace Corps volunteer, American missionary) are starting a
Moringa (zoliv) tree field to harvest leaves to make a dry powder that could
be put in food and sauces to improve nutrition.  I need info.  All I have is
stateside and that isn't doing me a lot of good.  I know there are other
projects - maybe near Petit Goave ??  I would like to know the specific of
how other projects are functioning - how do you grind and package the leaf
powder?  How much does it sell for?  How many jobs has it created?  This is
just an example.  I'm interested ANYTHING that is working to help others.
How does the chicken project work?  How do you involve the Haitians in the
area?  Does each family get a few to raise or do you have them on a
community property?  Also, does anyone have suggestions on which trees are
best for reforestation - fruit, deep root, quick growth???  Any info is
helpful.   I don't feel Haiti or Haitians are a curse.  I don't want to just
give a handout.  I would love to hear how Haitian or international groups
are using the resources Haiti has to create jobs & improve quality of life
and agriculture to leave a lasting improvement.

Lori Zachary