16538: Saint-Vil Re: 16524: Dorce, Fouche et al. on Classes (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

Personally, I prefer to refrain from using misleading and 'makwali' (awkward )
terminology such as “upper, middle and lower” classes when discussing the
struggle for state control being waged in Haiti.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns
= "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There certainly is nothing “upper” or “classy” with the way military and
Affranchi-rooted families have collaborated with foreign immigrants and
diplomats, for over two centuries now, to maintain a form of neo-colonial
dis-order on both sides of the island, following the assassination of His
Majesty Emperor Jean-Jacques Dessalines in 1806.

There is nothing “low” about the valiant resistance waged since then by the
“moun andeyò” and their few Affranchi-rooted allies to break the neo-colonial
regime.

Therefor, since all words, concepts and theories have their limitations, it may
be best to consider indigenous terms to describe certain realities in Haiti. In
my opinion, the forces vying for power on the west side of Haiti today may be
better categorized as: “Moun andeyò”, “Pitit moun andeyò”, “pitit Afranchi”,
“pitit Kolon”, and last but certainly not least in terms of influence, we have
to deal with the “Kolon Nostaljik”.

Perhaps the ultimate aim should be to transform and integrate as many Moun
andeyò, Pitit-moun andeyò, pitit Afranchi, pitit Kolon as possible into a major
group we can call: “pitit Ayiti”. Then, hopefully, the struggle between various
classes of laborers which today is a real concern for all lovers of Haiti –
even those who can’t really afford taking the time to think about it - will
become a subject of interest only for intellectuals and other full-bellied
folks. It’s a challenge not an impossible dream. And, the more we have
outspoken Kolon Nostaljik like former U.S. Ambassador Brian Dean Curran, former
French Ambassador Yves Gaudeuil and our friendly neighborhood Bible-totting
superstitious foreigners who are always willing to expose their deep seated
prejudices against all of the above groups of Haitians, the faster we shall
surely advance towards this goal of integration and transformation.

« Yon sèl drapo, yon sèl pèp, Pitit Ayiti nou ye ! »

Jafrikayiti
«Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!»
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/