16536: Saint-Vil Re: 16535: Lafleur seeking help to deal with superstitious beliefs (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

Hello Lourdes,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Just last night we hosted a radio show here in Ottawa  where we discussed
actions Haitians ought to take to avoid a religion-fueled bloodbath.
Participants denounced the many fear and hatred-promoting superstitions being
promoted by Christian priests and pastors as well as Vodou houngans and manbos
in Haiti.

Your question has also been raised by others and I, for one who has lived the
consequences of Christian superstitious beliefs clashing with Vodou
superstitious beliefs in my very own family, would encourage you to do all you
can to:

1)       avoid contributing to the irrational fear of your family and friends

2)       challenge people to speak on the matter with their own words as
opposed to citing biblical verses or rumors they heard from others

3)       inform yourself aa thoroughly as you can of the deceased medical
condition prior to his death.

I would also add a word of caution about the misleading perception that
outrageous superstitious beliefs are incompatible with Ph.D degrees.  Your
engineer and M.D. cousins are just as likely to fall for the craziest stories
that can trap your peasant cousins.  The Order of the Solar Temple, Jim Jones,
David Koresh, Popov, Oral Roberts have shown us testimony of this all over the
world. So, there are no easy answers to your question Lourdes.  As long as
there are charlatans willing to invent supernatural explanations to natural
phenomena, there will be people to fall in their trap. Simply continue to try
your best to convince your brethren that the real danger lies in praying to a
strange god  - with their eyes closed , not with their uncle’s children or
their father’s children by another woman.

 May our noble ancestors’ wisdom guide you. Peace!

NB: This and many related issues have been and are also being discussed at the
Ann Pale forum of www.haitiforever.com

Jafrikayiti
«Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!»
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/