16537: Saint-Vil replies to Nadine: Re: Gay marriages in Haiti ? (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

Dear Nadine,

While I agree with you that Gay Marriages are likely not soon to happen  in
Haiti, I don’t think it is because debate has not yet taken place in our
society about the matter.  The introduction of Kreyol in Haitian schools has
occurred in 1980 without much debate. The withdrawal of Rigwaz and Matinèt
(spanking tools) from the classroom has occurred without any public debate that
I know of.

It seems to me that certain changes simply happen “par la force des choses” in
the life of a people. And, particularly  in Haiti, where we have not yet
managed to appropriately tie legislative or other state decisions with public
debate.  If we did, for instance,  the current makeshift political “crisis”
would have been resolved long ago by asking the people of Haiti to debate and
decide whether the results of the 2000 elections should be upheld or not.

But on the specific issue of gay marriages, it would be important to hear what
members of the Vodou clergy think about the issue. Those who shall elect to
register their Hounfors with the State and then obtain full authority to
conduct legal unions, will they only marry heterosexual couples? Will those who
decide not to marry homosexual couples violate any known principles of
Vodou? Could some Houngans and Manbos decide marry heterosexuals as well as
homosexuals and simply throw the ball to the side of the State to let it decide
which  unions it will give legal recognition?

There are important religious, social, economic as well as legal dimensions to
the new situation we are facing here. Of course, the Vodou clergy doesn’t seem
to be any more ready to deal with this new situation than Haitian society as a
whole was with the “Bernard decree” introducing Kreyol in the schools in
1980.   But, ready or not, the hot potato is ours to deal with – today or
tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Jafrikayiti

«Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!»
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/