16585: Laleau: pigs

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Ah, pigs! Shortly after I moved to San Benito County, Mayor Richard Boomer
got
gored by a wild boar when he was out hunting wild boar (I guess the boars
were
better hunters--maybe even better mayors). This year I saw some running by
the
road a few miles up in the hills...only slightly bigger than Creole pigs.
They
looked just like domestic pigs except for their long reddish-brown hair
(Iron
John's cousins?). I asked a ranger what was the difference between them
and
domestic pigs and she said "None. They are domestic pigs gone wild." Local
people say the long hair is the difference and they are meaner. But they
sure
are survivers. Maybe the county would export some to Haiti. I'll bet
they'd
breed nicely with the few Kreyol pigs still living. They don't need cement
styes and corn feed. --nancy laleau