16589: Arthur Re: 16548: Archer queries - Where are the FRAPH documents now? (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Charles Arthur writes:

Firstly I'd just like to point out that the Haiti Support Group no longer
resides at the address cited in Archer's email. Anyone wanting to contact the HSG
should email at: haitisupport@gn.apc.org

Secondly, the question of what became of the FRAPH/FADH documents once they
were handed over to the government in Haiti in January or February 2001 is one
that the HSG is of course very interested in being answered. We were one a
number of organisations that responded to the appeal by human rights and
grassroots organisations in Haiti to get signatures for a petition calling on the US
government to hand over the unedited documents.

On behalf of the tens of thousands of people who signed this petition, I'd
like the Haitian government to at least have enough respect to inform us all
about the documents and what is happening with them. As far as I know, the
documents are at the National Palace, and nothing has been done with them. The Haiti
Support Group would like an official explanation of why it has been
impossible to make these documents available to lawyers and human rights organisations
as per the original demand. We'd also like to know whether the documents are
the edited or undited version, and by what process the actual handover from the
US to Haiti was made.

It is now nearly two years since President Aristide announced that the
documents were in government hands - since then, nothing..........

Whatever happened to justice, transparency and participation?

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

Solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for justice, participatory
democracy and equitable development, since 1992.