=?x-unknown?q?16658=3A__Holmstead=3A__Holmes_re=3A_The=5FRetu?==?x-unknown?q?rn=5Fof=5Fthe=5FAttach=E9=5FPhenomenon=5F=28fwd=29?=

From: John Holmstead <cyberkismet@yahoo.com>

I have traveled to Haiti frequently over the past two
years and was in a few communities mentioned in NCHR's
report. While there, I had the opportunity to see the
police and their representatives in action trying to
stop and investigate crime in these areas. I have
never seen such a t-shirt or emblem. Does anyone on
the list have any personal recall of seeing this
t-shirt or emblem in Haiti? Has anyone ever seen a
photo of such a thing? Anything is possible in my
imagination, I just want to know if anyone has any
personal experience on this list they can relate to
back up this extraordinary claim. Or is this NCHR
trying to recover ground they lost with the political
right when they attempted to objectively describe the
sources of political violence in Haiti last month?

John H.

This excerpt from NCHR:

Since the launching of Operation Zero Tolerance on 28
June 2001, the attaché phenomenon has become prevalent
in Haitian police stations. Specialized units called
Special Brigades (BS), composed of armed civilians
dressed in black t-shirts with the yellow inscription
"BS" on the back, are being integrated into the police
stations, at first in the metropolitan zone
and now increasingly on a national level. In certain
police stations, police officers and attachés carry
out the same activities.