16665: Kathleen; Re: 16569: Holmstead: Re: 16651: Kathleen: Re: 16619: lyall on public works and circulation (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Your last paragraph especially resonates with me.  Thanks!  I just wish
somehow the positive could start to outweigh the negative.  Port
Salut/Piment for example:  can ecotourism exist without being preempted by
the greedy?  Anywhere, of course - but here we're talking about possibly
reversing destructive trends in Haiti.  I hear that a tourist project, which
failed in Bassin Zim, succeeded in Petit Goâve.  Then the electricity went
out.  I saw people at the lower end of the economic scale sabotaging water
lines (which belonged to the brothers) in an attempt to be gros neg -
initiatives of this sort increase during the dry season (as do the
descriptions of winter travelers of "dry and deforested" terrains that are
really quite lush in the  summer, when they stay home or go to Nantucket)!
Again, thanks for the enlightenment!  by the way, I never found KD stupid,
but overbearing and facile.  Since I was 19, I have taken seriously
Emerson's "Every man I meet is my superior in some way.  In that, I learn of
him."  (Or was it Thoreau?)  kb