16679: (Hermantin)Sun Sentinel-Haitians prepare for first Haitian Culture Festival in D (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haitians prepare for first Haitian Culture Festival in Delray

By Christine Davis
Special Correspondent

September 7, 2003

Jackson Destine, 27, of Boynton Beach leads the Haitian dance group, Acaf
Ginen.

A dance teacher in Haiti, he continued to teach when he came to the United
States a half-dozen years ago.

"When I first came here, I saw Haitians doing other things. Nobody cares
about the Haitian culture," Destine said. "I think it's important to teach
Haitian-American young people where they come from by teaching them their
own dance."

That's one good reason to take part in the first Haitian Culture Festival in
Delray Beach next weekend. His group of teens ages 12 to 17, based in Lake
Worth, will perform two dances, ceremony voodoo and revolution.

"I try to let others explore our culture and let them see, too," he said.

The festival is the brainchild of Lincoln Joseph, 32, who came to Delray
Beach from Port-au-Prince, Haiti, when he was 12. His brother, Marcus
Joseph, 30, followed him the next year.

Enjoying their American life, they decided to gather their family and
friends for a Fourth of July picnic of hotdogs and hamburgers at Caloosa
Park in Boynton Beach six years ago.

"Marcus picked the date," Lincoln Joseph said. "We put up a Haitian flag and
an American flag. We played all kinds of music, even Spanish, and people
just came up and joined."

They invited family and friends, and neighboring picnickers joined in and
the brothers soon found themselves hosting a party of 50. The Josephs' proud
tradition became an annual event, growing bigger each year.

The last time, 250 people showed up.

The success of the picnic got the men thinking about how they could give
back to their adoptive country by sharing their Haitian culture.

"Being a Haitian in Delray, I saw there were so many events on Atlantic
Avenue," Lincoln Joseph said. "When I came back from college in Michigan, I
saw the Cinco de Mayo, the Roots Festival. There's also Flag Day on May 18,
but I wanted a festival specifically Haitian, concentrating on the culture,
and on a larger scale for Haitians to show a positive influence as well.

"It would help break stereotypes and people would get along better and
bridge a lot of barriers. This will be good for the Haitian-Americans who
have been born in the United States, too."

Lincoln Joseph is a graphic designer and Marcus Joseph is a Web designer, so
they have set up a company, Rexnite.com, with a Web site with the same name.
The company and site promote Haitian events and event sponsors. Another Web
site, www.welovehaiti.com, is the official festival Web site.

"One of Delray Beach's goals is to promote cultural diversity in Delray
Beach, and this festival was an opportunity to show that," said Bob
Barcinski, the city's assistant city manager.

The Caribbean Music Festival was put on by the Haitian Culture Society of
the Palm Beaches for the second time on May 10. "It was very much geared to
the Haitian community," Barcinski said.

The Haitian Culture Festival will feature Haitian art, dance and music.
"There's going to be art and crafts and a lot of fun," Lincoln Joseph said.

The music: compas and Haitian hip-hop, which will be live. Some musicians
are coming from Haiti, such as Sweet Micky. Sky'z Da Limit and Degree from
Delray Beach and Nu-Look from Miami are also scheduled to perform.

Dance teams from Lake Worth and Plantation high schools, as well as Haitian
dancers, will perform. Food from local Haitian, Jamaican and African
restaurants will be offered at booths, along with American fare. Other
vendors will sell Haitian arts and crafts.

"I'm excited about Nu-Look coming," said Nerette, who is stage manager.
"They are a big Haitian band and are popular right now. People are on their
side."

"We come from a rich culture," Marcus Joseph said. "Once you get to know
Haitian people, you realize they are good people."

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general