16698: Braziel: Query: Haitian Legislation RE Jews as African (fwd)

From: Jana Evans Braziel <evans_braziel@hotmail.com>

Dear Corbett List members:
I am forwarding this query from a non-listserv member; if you have information,
please respond directly to aben-ur@judnea.umass.edu
Thanks!
Jana Evans Braziel

Subject: Query: Source for Haitian Legislation-Jews as African (Ben-Ur)

In the 1930s, a Haitian law was promulgated declaring all Jews descendants of
Africa, based on their biblical history as slaves in ancient Egypt.  I found
this in a secondary source, with no citation (Elizabeth A. McAlister, "'The
Jew'
in the Haitian Imagination: Pre-Modern Anti-Judaism in the Posmodern
Caribbean,"
in Yvonne Chireau and Nathaniel Deutsch, eds., *Black Zion: African American
Religious Encounters with Judaism*, New York and Oxford: Oxford University
Press, 2000, 203-227).  Can readers point me to a primary source that
includes the details and context of this law?

Thank you in advance.

Aviva Ben-Ur (please reply directly to: aben-ur@judnea.umass.edu)
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.