16724: Kathleen: Re: 16719: Vishnusurf: Re: 16705: Laleau: northwest of Haiti (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Dear V and list - I saw the same phenomenon in the Central Plateau - I think
it's a matter of organizing distribution channels, those business techniques
at which Americans and some Europeans excel.  Obviously, getting to the
avocados and oranges before they're ripe on the ground is crucial. Then we
get into transportation, refrigeration, middle markets, capital - not
insoluble problems, but difficult so far.  Are there any business
consultants interested in volunteering their time?  But then, getting the
people to trust needs proper channels too.
I love the name of the town - Limonade in the north is another contender.
Are there any naturally occurring deserts in Haiti?  I had the impression
that was true of the area around Gonaives.
Kathleen