16734: (Craig) Article: Haiti's Opposition Rallies Against Gov't (fwd)

From: Dan Craig <hoosier@att.net>

Haiti's Opposition Rallies Against Gov't
September 14, 2003
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 11:48 p.m. ET

CAP-HAITIEN, Haiti (AP) -- Defying threats of renewed
violence, more than 4,000 opposition supporters protested
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's government Sunday and
clashed with a counter-demonstration in Haiti's second
largest city.

Dozens were injured by police and Aristide supporters in a
similar protest Aug. 30 also in northern Cap-Haitien. The
United States and the Organization of American States
criticized the government for excessive force in that
incident.

Sunday's protest ended with at least 13 injuries, after
opposition organizers defied warnings from Aristide
activists that another demonstration could produce a
bloodbath.

"We won't be cowed by threats. We have a right to assemble
and express our opposition to this dictatorial regime,"
said Jean-Robert Lalane, coordinator of the opposition
North District Front.

Lalane said police had promised to protect Sunday's
demonstrators, but as they traced their scheduled route
through the city, they met by a pro-Aristide group of
nearly 1,000.

Police attempted to halt the pro-government group's
advance, firing tear gas but failing to disperse the crowd.

"We're democrats," pro-Aristide organizer Mawoum
Marcellus said. "Everybody has the right to assemble and
demonstrate."

The two groups then began hurling rocks and bottles at each
other, prompting police to use tear gas to disperse the
opposition.

Haiti's government and the opposition have been deadlocked
since Aristide's Lavalas Family party swept flawed May 2000
elections. Haiti has plunged deeper into poverty and
unrest, and some international lenders suspended aid to
demand democratic reform and greater stability.

Aristide plans to call new legislative elections this year,
but has been thwarted by the opposition's refusal to
participate until the government fulfills OAS resolutions
to disarm partisans, end judicial impunity and reform the
police.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Haiti-Protest.html?ex=1064622390&ei=1&en=3c7b097f64080cc0
Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company