16736: Kathleen: Re: 16718: Laleau: Farmer's book (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Dear Nancy  and list - I wouldn't agree that Paul is a 'manic overachiever."
He is a truly remarkable man, doesn't give a whit about money for himself
(according to Tracy Kidder's article in New Yorker, Didi was dismayed when
she learned that Paul expected them to continue to use his cot in a back
room of  Brigham & Women's  after their marriage), and works selflessly for
the poor.  It is not his fault if people adore him!!!!   A note of caution -
it's unfair to the person to canonize him/her; for example, Paul 's
continued fidelity to Aristide, and praise for his wife, has not diminished
a bit in the face of opposition.  The vast amounts of people who saw
Aristide as a saint and a savior did no one, including Aristide, any good.
Blaming the U.S. and the opposition "self-appointed peasant leaders" for
Haiti's problems, to the extent Paul and some others in the government do,
is counterproductive, in my opinion and others.  When I said in an earlier
note that he is "truly unique" - I meant that.  His combination of abilities
and lack of concern for those comforts most of us find necessary is
unparalleled.  His blanket criticism of Aristide's critics  and  reporting
of some opinions as facts  are discomfiting.  I think he would be the first
to discourage people from putting him in the position of taking
responsibility for being a saint - he is a vibrant, warm, witty, passionate
human being I am proud to know.  He would be very open to knowing you.
Kathleen Burke