16755: Sekar: Haitian Revolution

From: Satish Sekar <satish.sekar@ntlworld.com>

What is the best source of information on American involvement in Haiti in
1929? By the way I was doing some research on trhe Louisiana Purchase and
discovered that it involved gross treason by two established banks.

The USA was loaned the $15m by Barings and Hope's banks. Following
Napoleon's
disastrous campaign in Haiti and premature restoration of war in Europe,
Napoleon was desparate for resources to pay troops and pursue his dream of
dominating Europe and hence the world.

The two banks knowingly transferred the money to Napoleon at a time when
its
host country (Britain) was at war with Napoleon.

Of greater importance is the fact that Haiti's facilitated the Louisiana
Purchase which was in  my opinion the pivotal event in the eventual rise
of the
USA to superpower status as it expanded the borders of the USA westward to
the
point that the war with Mexico for Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and
California
was feasible. It also faciltated the sale of Florida in 1819 by the
Spanish to
the USA, almost certainly due to geopgraphic isolation and lawlessness.
Thye
geographic expansion of the USA was an essential precursor to economic
expansion and its rapid development to superpower status. It is my opinion
that
it is therefore arguable that while Haiti's Revolution may not have
prevented
an invasion of the ungrateful USA by France (unclear Louisiana Territories
were
ever part of Napoleon's plans for foothold in USA rather than supply depot
of
food for restored slavery in Haiti), it most certainly facilitated the
sale of
the Territories, which in turn was essential to the USA's eventual
emergence as
a superpower. I would be grateful if you could comment on this as I value
your
opinion. I'm not Haitian, but I have had a longstanding interest in the
Revolution and its aftermath as I believe it is a crime against history
that it
has been deprived of its rightful place as one of the most remarkable
events in
histort.

Best Wishes

Satish