16772: Karshan: President Aristide Assures Free and Fair Elections in Climate of Peace (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Press Release
Date:  September 19, 2003
Contact:  Michelle Karshan, Foreign Press Liaison
Tel:  (011509) 228-2058
Email: mkarshan@aol.com

President Jean-Bertrand Aristide calls for peaceful, democratic and free
elections and guarantees increased security by the Police

President Jean-Bertrand Aristide held a press conference this morning
reiterating that local and parliamentary elections will be held this year.  This
comes a day after the new US Ambassador to Haiti, James B. Foley, presented his
credentials to President Jean-Bertrand Aristide at Haiti's National Palace.

Elections
The President indicated that he expected the electoral council to announce an
electoral schedule, pointing out that the law provides that only the
electoral council has to right to set the dates for elections. The president asked
that all branches of the government work together to prepare elections, calling
upon all to respect the decision of the Electoral Council to move elections
forward as mandated by Haitian law.

Electoral Council
Elections are being prepared by a provisional electoral council who is
currently engaged in preparing the field for nationwide elections this year.  After
the remaining sectors put forth their representatives to a Consensus Electoral
Council (as agreed to in OAS Resolution 822) the consensus electoral council
will be installed and will assume all responsibilities for the holding of
elections.

No to Violence
President Aristide made it clear that there would be no tolerance for
violence nor for illegal arms, stating that the role of the government is to provide
protection for all.  In furtherance of this, the President explained that the
government has the legal right and obligation to disarm those bearing illegal
arms.

Security
"We will increase security so that there is neither psychological or physical
insecurity.  The law is for all.  If a political party decides to
demonstrate, without violence, and democratically, the police will be there to protect
them and accompany them. The police will protect all those who hold
demonstrations.  We ask all to respect the law and respect the Constitution."

Participation
"The Constitution calls for elections to be overseen by an Electoral Council.
 I don't have the power to oblige any one to participate, however, we
encourage all political parties to participate.

Speaking to the press, the President called on them as both Haiti's press and
young adults, to not be discouraged, instead reminding them that they are the
resource and the future of Haiti.  "We need all Haitians to work together for
the transformation of Haiti."

- 30 -