16862: Feldman: WSIS/National Campaign in Haiti (fwd)

From: Janet Feldman <kaippg@earthlink.net>

Dear Friends,
Below please find some information on WSIS (World Summit on the Information
Society) activities in Haiti, starting in early October. There was no
attachment (as described) which came with this message, but there is a
website, and hopefully the info will be posted there. It's interesting to
note that radio will be the primary means of communication for these
initiatives, as it is in Africa (where my work centers), though hopefully at
some point ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) use in Haiti and
elsewhere will encompass a full range of communication devices and
techniques, from mobile phones and radio to computers and the Internet,
wireless and Simputer, and also the arts, one of the most effective means of
communication, to which all Haitian-art fans will attest!  Hope you'll all
tune in (turn on and not drop out, haha)!   All best wishes,

Janet Feldman, kaippg@earthlink.net

Subject: [wsis-gc] SMSI - WSIS / National Campaign in Haiti

Useful information on National Activities in Haiti

Here in Haïti we are working on a flyer to be ready for distribution in
October. A virtual forum will be launched on 6 October; the link will be
given on our website. A national consultation will be held at Le Plaza Hotel
on 10 to 14 November 2003.

The flyer will be in French and Creole of course, and it will contain some
of important points about the Information Society and how ICT can serve as a
key development mechanism. After a large distribution in Haiti we will be
following up with a distribution in Dominican Rep. and Jamaica.

A series of debates on the radio about our thematic discussion will be
launched in Haiti for October 2003.

We will let you know all about those activities.

Local and International Partners include :

Association des Industries d'HAITI(ADIH)
Ecole Supérieure d'Infotronique d'HAITI (ESIH)
Ministere de la Culture et de la Communication
GKP Network
Radio Télé-éclaire
Password de Radio Vision 2000
Signal Technologies
Fédération Haïtienne des Associations et Clubs de l'UNESCO
and other Ministers and sectors not confirmed yet in their participation.

Find a draft of this flyer in attachment.

 President of the Center of Information and Communication Initiatives
(CAITI)
37, Rue Chemins des Dalles
Port-au-Prince, HAITI

Ave Las Americas Edif. 1 Apto 301,