16868: Archer: Google News Alert - haiti (fwd)

From: Merrie Archer <MArcher@nchr.org>

Hi folks,

Although many of you probably have seen this before, I just wanted to post a
tip for getting English language news on Haiti.  I just learned, after many
years of looking up news on the internet, that you can get Google to send
you articles on Haiti - or whatever else you're interested in - on a daily
basis.  It's much better than the yahoo service that I used to use although
admittedly, it does rehash the AP articles over and over as they appear in
newspapers around the country.  Where it is interesting is seeing many
independent articles in small newspapers around the country as well as
articles on Haiti in the Australian, Indian and other international press.

The service sends a list of articles that have come out about Haiti once a
day or as they arise, if you prefer.  It gives the title and the first
sentence and a link for people to follow up themselves (see below for
example).  The only downside - unless the original sites archive the news
item, it will eventually disappear over time.  In order to sign up, you

1. go to www.google.com
2. click on "News"
3. type in Haiti
4. click "Search News"
5. on the left hand side, click "News alerts"
6. fill in the blanks

Thats it. Hope in comes in handy.

All the best,
Merrie