16872: Pilling: Re: 16869: Magloire: Navassa Island (fwd)

From: Sara Pilling <sara.pilling@verizon.net>

If one types in Navassa Island into Google you can reach a web site that
even shows photos of this island. According to my Haitian mentor, Haiti
claims this island. If my memory serves me [and it doesn't always
cooperate], a 'dude' from Baltimore claimed it subsequently - and there's a
bit of a battle going on for it. Source of guano and am told excellent
fishing grounds [for Haitian fishermen].

The US, from my reading is claiming that Haiti is not capable of monitoring
it and the flora/fauna is unique and therefore the US needs to 'own' it.

A real sore point in US/Haiti relations

Sara Pilling