16956: (Hermantin) Miami-Herald-UNITED STATES 1, HAITI 0 (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Thu, Oct. 16, 2003

UNITED STATES 1, HAITI 0
Buddle's goal trumps Haitians, fans

BY PETE PELEGRIN
ppelegrin@herald.com

Though it was slated as an ''international friendly'' -- the match between
the United States' Under-23 team and Haiti on Wednesday night at Lockhart
Stadium appeared to be more than that for the Haitian team and its
boisterous fans.

With 9,715 predominantly Haitian faithful looking on, the United States
staved off a scrappy Haiti squad 1-0 with a second-half goal by Edson
Buddle.

Despite going scoreless, Haiti -- much like its crowd, which shook the
bowels of Lockhart with foot-stomping and chanting -- dominated the match
from the inception.

''We looked like a team that hasn't been together for five months and had
two practices,'' U.S. coach Glenn Myernick said of his team, which just got
together this week after a five-month layoff. ``Haiti seized the momentum
from the start and brought their crowd into the game. But I'm always happy
to win.''

Fueled by energetic players, Haiti managed to maintain the ball near the
U.S. goal the majority of the match.

Yet the Haitian team's inability to take shots on goal (it managed just
three) hindered its attempt at the upset.

The United States slumbered until the 61st minute, when injured star forward
Landon Donovan entered the match. With precise passing and crafty play,
Donovan sparked the Americans.

''I just had more energy than anyone out there,'' said Donovan, who
sustained a sprained right ankle in a Major League Soccer match Friday. ``My
adrenaline took over.''

Six minutes after Donovan's entrance, the ball was deflected after two
opposing players leaped to try and head the ball. Buddle then slipped the
ball past goalkeeper Gabard Fenelon.

''The ball just rolled perfect towards the goal, and I just happened to be
in the right spot,'' said Buddle, a forward for the Columbus Crew of MLS.
``I took the shot and it went in.''

The game was the last for the U.S. before CONCACAF qualifying begins for the
2004 Olympics in Athens. The United States will play Nov. 15 at St. Kitts
and Nevis.

''This was a good match for us because it was like playing in a different
environment with the pro-Haiti crowd,'' Donovan said.

Cheer a special someone with a fun Halloween eCard from American Greetings!
Go to  http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/index_msn.pd?source=msne134