17087: Lyall: recent unrest (fwd)

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:15:31 -0500

Last wednesday the radio was full of reports of manifestations and
unrest in Port. There was a big crowd at the ministry of justice.
What they were manifesting I don't know. They alse were talking about
Place Boyer. As that is kindof my home neighborhood, down in PVille I
was concerned about what was happening there.

I asked Madame Janie Wynne what that was about as I couldn't follow
the news reports. Later she told me that some group was engaged in
planting trees in the river bed between Place Boyer and centreville
Petion Ville. They were attacked by a gang of chimeres, lots of
people bloodied, and all the trees pulled up and destroyed.

Later I heard that the street money changer guy who hangs out at rue
Louverture was waylaid by these chimeres and forced to kneel and
shout 'Aristide a vie' or "Aristide ou mort' or have his brains
splattered on the street.

Madame Janie later told me that 300 trees that she had just planted
up on the farm (and the route to the farm) were uprooted and
destroyed by the local resistance fighters. Why they hate trees so
awful much is a real mystery. Pye Bwa are an imperialist plot?

--
J.David Lyall, or
     Jedidiah Daudi