17119: Severe: Re Du Tuyau (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

Dear Corbettlanders,
  While I do not have Du Tuyau's verve or M. Vishnusurf's precision, here
goes. How about this? What if in the midst of this latest, most current but
nowhere near ending political crisis there are no heros or any saints. While
the bodies pile up, us in the 10th department scream back and forth whether
it's pouvoir's or opposition's fault. They're all to blame. The days of
wishing of Haiti to be saved by some majestic lawgiving redemptive figure
are over.
  If Haiti is ever going to extricate itself from being the Chicago Cubs of
nations its political class is going to have to take responsibility for its
actions and their consequences. Lavalas(Aristide) has frittered away away a
once in a century opportunity to propel Haiti forward. I say this as someone
who supported the 1994 invasion and as someone who thinks he should be
allowed to finish his term. Lavalas tried to be cute during the most recent
legislative elections (Hey, we were going to win anyway so why bother with
the rest of it) and got caught. So instead of compromising when it could of
made a difference we find ourselves here, Aristide finds himself singing the
"It's Everybody and Their Momma's Fault, but My Own Blues."
Meanwhile the Convergence, a combination of the Bad News Bears and the 1919
Chicago Black Sox, are here with some plans, a lot of hope, and no sense.
They want Aristide out over an election two years ago that nobody serious
thinks they could of won. While I'm impressed by the intellectual prowess
and position paper churning out capabilities of members of the opposition,
I'm left a little cold by their claim at being able to represent the Haitian
people. The alphabet soup of organizations that are somehow tied to the
oppossition; HDP, IRI, TI, and even the Brookings Institute seem better
suited for an application for an American Enterprise Intstitute fellowship
rather than being a serious Haitian political party. Hey, I'm all for
American involvement in spreading democracy but for every Milosevic we help
get rid of,  there's a Lumbaba were involved in rubbing out. So, no one
should be surprised when folks accuse the convergence of being a CIA front
organization.
Speaking of front organziations, all of those OP leaders who are suddenly
getting killed. Please spare me the crocodile tears and the sad, well
thought eulogies. They were GANG LEADERS who probably sent many people to
that big RAM jam session in the sky. Anyone who is genuinely surprised that
such people meet violent ends, I have some nice land on a denuded ravine to
sell you in Raboteau. The fact that both Convergence and Lavalas are willing
to fill their dance cards with an everchanging grouping of these thugs,
speaks volumes of their true desire for change.

Constantin

P.S.
I have a new(revised) slogan for Lavalas:
We may be a little crooked, and that flood not so cleaning but at least we
don't have anyone called Himmler on our team.

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games