17190: Dorce: Re: 17178: Re:loveayiti on Pina and Distortion by US Media (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 11/8/03 9:06:44 AM Pacific Standard Time, love haiti
<loveayiti@hotmail.com>writes:

<< It's amazing how Pina (who is believed to be on the government payroll) can
 point to the demonization of Metayer by the US Media (Wilentz, Regan and
 Gold) and speak of how he was a freedom figter who sufferd under the
 Military yet minimize how it's Metayer's own supporters who now protest
 against Aristide and blame him specifically for Metayer's brutal
 assasination. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"It is believed..."  "It is said..."  "Yo di..."  If you want to discredit
Pina for what he writes, do so by stating facts that he got wrong not
speculating on his employment.  In fact, he is NOT on the government payroll.  How's
that for a non-speculative statement?  It is clear to me from the articles that
Metayer's brother and others were persuaded that Aristide was behind his
assassination, hence their fury.  The article asks the reader what possible benefit
would Aristide and Lavalas receive by the killing of Amiot Metayer?  The path
from the Presidential Palace to Metayer was a mile wide.  Doesn't it seem too
contrived?  However, the opposition had a lot to gain by making it look like a
Lavalas execution.  Haiti looks unstable and insecure for elections, which
they do not want by any means.  But it's nice that you see Metayer's
assassination as wrong.  I hope it is still seen that way if it is proven that Lavalas
had nothing to do with it.

Let me ask you if you believe the US media is above reproach regarding
writing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help them God?  Me,
I have a hard time believing anything I read in the newspapers anymore.  It
seems that the goal is not getting the facts out but winning a Pulitzer.
Perhaps the US journalists in Haiti get their stories from the veranda of the
Ofoffson.  But then, I'm only speculating.

Kathy Dorce~