17182: Raber: Re: 17172: torx: Esser: US Corporate Media Distort Haitian Events (fwd)

From: P&M Raber <raber@valkyrie.net>

In the following article by Kevin Pina (exerpt at bottom of post below), he
portrays Amy Wilentz as anti-Aristide.  I remember reading her book "The
Rainy Season" and thinking that she had a more than fair, even a little
pro-Aristide angle in the book.  I dug it off my book shelf and browsed
through it.  I came to the chapter titled "Ruelle Vaillant" and thought the
following would be interesting to many on this list (p.330 and 331 in the
book):.  Aristide talks about the Ruelle Vaillant elections and the prospect
of having a fair elections under a government that has already messed up
one.  Here are Aristide's words:

(ARistide)"We have said all along that there is no possibility free
elections under this criminal, Namphy.  The Haitian people should never have
been led into this trap, this electoral trap from which there was finally no
exit but a bloody death.  No election can be held until the people have
thrown off the yoke of the Macoutes and the military. Haitian history will
never happen the way the US Envisions it.  The American plan for Haiti is a
dream for the U. S., and now we have the proof, which we have always known,
that is a nightmare for the Haitian people".

(Wilentz) He hated being underground, and was busy making a tape for
circulation.  It was called "Two of the Living Dead", and in it he took on
the persona of a voter killed at Ruelle Vaillant, speaking from the dead,
and addressing his listeners by the diminutive Creole names for little boys
and little girls, Ti Roro and Ti Choune.  You could hear the lambi sounding
in the background as he begged them not to be discouraged, and warned them
of the perils that lay ahead.

 (Aristide)   "If the criminal CNG does not go." he said on the tape, in a
voice like syrup, "what will happen?  Tell me what you think, Ti Roro.  Yes,
Ti Choune, I understand you, I agree with you, I'm with you.  Let me tell
you what I think, here's what I think.  I think that if the CNG stays, it
will organize a new CEP, another electoral council-which it has already
begun to do today, with so many lies in its mouth-so that the macoute CNG
can plot with the similarly  Macoute CEP to allow all Macoute candidates to
run, Desinor, Raymond, Romain...and all the other Macoutes like them who are
crazy to become President, or senator, or deputy.
    "So...and what if by chance the Macoute CNG should remain in power and
if by chance the other, new CEP that is coming should not be filled with
Macoutes?  Does that mean that we will have elections?  No.  There will be
an election, but you won't be able to call it an election in the proper
sense of the word.
    "Because in reality this election will be a sham election that the CNG
has organized in order to put a Macoute like themselves in power.  This
Macoute will give them protection because they are well aware of all crimes
they've commited.  The other day, we saw the kinds of crimes they commit.
Further back at Jean Rabel, we saw the kinds of crimes they commit.  And
today, on the twenty-ninth of November, the reason we're talking like this
is because we've just seen again the kinds of crimes they are still
committing.
    "Sham elections with a new CEP will plunge us into blood, into death,
into massacre.  The Macoutes, they must be dechouked.  Since February 7,
1986, they have shown that they have not converted, they say they will not
convert."

From: Dominique Esser  torx@joimail.com