17305: Jay on wanga negess

From: Jepiem@aol.com

I have no idea how to spell wanga negess, so creolist purists please be
gentle.
In my own limited knowledge of haitian birds, wonga negess and
hummingbirds are
exactly the same bird, the haitian hummingbird. The name derives from
haitian
folklore. People believe that you can kill a wonga negess, dry it up and
make a
powder which you can throw on the object of your longings and guarantee
your
success. Of course the trick was to catch a wonga negess which was
probably
more difficult than catching the girl you were after.
 That's my take on the question. Any others?
Math Jay