=?x-unknown?q?17331=3A__=28Arthur=29_=22THE_BATTLE_OF_VERTI?==?x-unknown?q?=C3ERES_GOES_ON?=

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Louis Mercier
November 18, 1936

The battle of Vertières goes on for us. We are still in the grasp of the
forces of evil and destruction. All the stupid and deadly prejudices are still
alive in our hearts and we still have a colonial mentality. We still haven’t
erased all traces of slavery. The vast majority (of our people) still live in
ignorance, abject poverty, humiliation and this doesn’t revolt us. The rules of
hygiene are not observed. Our cities still don’t look like modern cities and our
countryside is too neglected. We are not yet great builders and we walk on
too much devastation. Even today, we still don’t want to be idealistic, to
become real Haitian citizens, to purge ourselves of fanaticism, hatred, to adopt
and implement the noble laws of social justice and human solidarity, rid
ourselves completely of all the viruses that poison our hearts and our brains: Cast
prejudices, place of origin prejudices, relicts of a cursed past that we have
to shed completely. Our ancestors have made immense efforts for liberty and
fraternity. Don’t let their sacrifices be in vain. Don’t let those foreigners
that our history fascinates and who admire us be disappointed by the sad
spectacle that we offer.

Life is beautiful only under the invigorating shadow of a great dream and in
the framework of an admirable country where all the noble activities can be
fostered, and where intellect, willpower and reason are applied to maintain
Justice, Goodness, Fraternity, godmothers of all progress.

Let’s open our hearts to love. Let’s develop every social program that will
improve the lot of the wretched. Let’s take the firm resolution to work to the
point of sacrifice for the good of our country. That's the only way we will
grow. The fight goes on and we must remain in control of the field. Let us
repeat, let us repeat unceasingly that truth that will liberate us:

“LA BATAILLE DE VERTIÈRES CONTINUE.
THE BATTLE OF VERTIÈRES GOES ON.”