17617: (Hermantin) Sun-Sentinel-Violence disrupts revelry in Haiti (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Violence disrupts revelry in Haiti

By Michael Deibert
Special Correspondent
Posted January 2 2004

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti · Haiti's celebration of its 200th anniversary of
independence flared into huge anti-government demonstrations on Thursday,
with thousands of protesters paralyzing the capital and marring festivities
in other parts of the country.

After an official ceremony where exotically robed African potentates
ascended the steps of Haiti's National Palace and children in body paint and
colorful costumes danced traditional music, tandem protest marches
degenerated into clashes between competing groups and police.

Marches organized by the Group of 184 -- a coalition of private-sector,
civic, peasant and labor organizations and university students -- brought an
estimated 30,000 people to the capital demanding the resignation of
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. The crowds at one point covered hill after
hill in the capital, swelling and breaking through police barricades several
times despite clouds of wafting tear gas and the sound of automatic weapons
fire. Local radio reported six to eight people injured, but there were no
official estimates available.

"Our bicentennial is not for him [Aristide]! It is for us, the Haitians who
live in misery!" said Barlow Junior, a university student. "He burns
children in their homes; he destroys human rights; he must go!"

Smoke billowed from burning tires and flaming cars that were pushed into the
middle of intersections to stop traffic throughout Port-au-Prince. In
Gonaives, a presidential visit was cut short because of protests and gunfire
that erupted in several areas. In that town, the flashpoint of the slave
rebellion that ended with Haiti's independence from the French on Jan. 1,
1804, clashes between protesters and police were sporadic throughout the
day.

Aristide called for unity and promised to address the woes of the Western
Hemisphere's poorest nation. He also asked for patience and reconciliation
for all Haitians.

Aristide, who was elected to a second term as Haiti's president in November
2000, has seen a growing tide of protests against his rule in recent months
by those claming his tenure has become increasingly corrupt and dictatorial.

Aristide has blamed his political opposition and the country's wealthy elite
for stirring up anti-government sentiment. More than 40 people have been
killed in violence since September.

Thursday's unrest was not what Aristide had intended at the day's outset,
and his administration had beefed up security so that visiting dignitaries
would see the best the country had to offer.

"It is still possible to come together in unity," he said early Thursday
morning, as he addressed an estimated 15,000 cheering supporters at Haiti's
National Palace, as South Africa's President Thabo Mbeki looked on. "We can
put our heads together, all Haitians."

Other dignitaries included the prime minister of the Bahamas and delegations
from several countries, including Benin. Actor Danny Glover was also there,
as well as U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., who said that Aristide was a
victim of a conspiracy.

"We see this kind of organizing to undermine some countries [other] than
Haiti -- look at Venezuela. I think we need to be careful not to tempt
people [who would like] to have a coup d'etat and dress it up in the name of
demonstrations and rallies," said Waters, who attended the palace
celebrations.

Today, Aristide plans to visit the Museum of the Pantheon and in the evening
will host a musical troupe from Benin.

In other developments Thursday, the Democratic Platform -- a coalition of
civil society organizations and opposition political parties -- unveiled
what they dubbed a transition plan for Aristide's departure, calling for
Aristide's resignation and the selection of a provisional president from
Haiti's Supreme Court.

"We're here today to announce that we've come to an agreement to run the
transition after the departure of Mr. Aristide and the mechanism that should
take over the governance of the country in a coherent and harmonious way,"
said Andy Apaid, a Haitian industrialist who is a member of the group.

"This should remove the preoccupation that Haiti will be a difficult place
to govern after the departure of Aristide."

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access — limited
time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup