17773: Corbett: FINALLY -- CAUGHT UP. Things should now slow down

>From Bob Corbett:

Folks, this is alwasy a busy list, but the last two days have been just
absurd.  There were so many many messages -- all of which you now have --
in line to be sent out that I thought I'd never get caught up.

But I am now caught up.  Not one note to send out.

NOT EVERY NOTE YOU SENT IN HAS BEEN POSTED.  Some of you may be reading
this and thinking, but such and such a note I sent was not sent out.

Recall this:  I do not post items that come as or with attachments.  There
were many many in the line which came that way and I just deleted them.
No time to send individual messages to people about that.

Note there are two things there:

1.  If it has an attachment I won't post it.  Period.

2.  If it "comes with" an attachment I won't post it.  Period.  But what
is this "comes with"?

Many e-mail servers, and the two most notable are aol and yahoo, often
attach YOUR e-mail address to the note via an attachment.  I do not use a
browser based e-mail program to run this list.  I use an old old old unix
system.  It will ONLY handle text.  I can not receive or open attachments,
photos, graphics of any kind, only text.  It is also much much much
harded to pass on any virus with such a program.

So if you have such a server you need to talk with them about deleting
that "attachement" feature from your specific e-mails or I can't post
them.  Rather, I won't post them.

At any rate, we can now move into 2004 in a more normal pace of message
posting.  It is a rather frightening and difficult time in Haiti and I do
hope we can help each other to remain informed and to challege each other
to think the issues through with care.

At the same time I do wish 2004 could be a year when more and more would
come to the mailing list that is about OTHER aspects of Haitian life than
politics.  There is so much more.  Economics, culture, art, music,
painting, literature, personal stories, georgraphy and on and on and on
and on.  I always regret the nearly exclusive POLITICAL focus. I guess in
part because the politics interests so very little.  I tend to be one who
believes governement in all forms is just a horrible necessary evil of
living and all are bad and wicked, but, obviously, some more evil than
others.

That's just my own very pessimistic and negativistic take on government,
one of those necessary evils of life much like defecating, though even
that is more pleasant to me than politics.

Best to all for 2004.

Bob Corbett