17800: Ray: 17796: JTallbird: Re: 17792: Ryan: Haiti travel information needed (fwd)

From: Matt Ray <mraymus@yahoo.com>

All,

There are many nonprofits and the like worried about this.   Let me share some information one of our team leaders just got from the Canadian Dept of Foreign Affairs, Haiti
desk.    She called today, January 9th.

"I just got off the phone with the Canadian Dept of Foreign Affairs, Haiti desk.  I called this morning after receiving Cindy's note that they would be
making a final decision Wednesday.

I spoke with Laurent Morel - he said that the violence is predominantly verbal (protests), and the demonstrations jan 1 were actually less violent than expected, although there has been violence.  He advised no tourist travel - this isn't the Dominican.  He advised for groups with familiarity and sensibility we should be fine.  He recommended providing the embassy with a copy of our agenda while in Haiti, avoiding shanty-towns, and to be aware that with strikes like today, business can be interrupted.  He advised
it would be a good idea to have a cell phone with us if travelling out of our base (like going to orphanges).  Overall he stated things are not escalating, but not getting better either.  He felt that a group like ours with our activities and locality should be fine.

He gave me his number to call again on Monday if I want another update, which I will do.

Canadian team is going - no plans to change unless something really crazy happens.  We'll email everyone from there on the 13 and 14th."

So, we all know that the media tends to exaggerate things about Haiti.   I also feel that the politics are dancing a frenzy on all of this.    To summize this message, go to Haiti, they need your help.   Just be careful.    You're not in Kansas anymore.    Of course, if the group you're working with isn't organized and you're going there and "winging it" then I don't think I'd recommend going.   Too many things up in the air right now.

Concerning those who have recently been victimized, I am truly sorry to hear of such things and my heart goes out to those who were involved.   Please don't interpret this email as a denial of your tragedies.   I recognize that those things happened and it hurts my heart to read of such events.   I'm not trying to belittle them.   I'm just trying to convince people that sometimes things like this happen.   People are robbed and killed every day in the US.   But there are millions of others who this never happens to.    Hopefully these incidents will become less frequent.  Let us all pray for that.

Sincerely,

Matt

Matt Ray
Volunteer Webmaster & Translator
Healing Hands for Haiti Foundation, Inc.
4212 Danube Court, Bakersfield CA 93308
http://www.healinghandsforhaiti.org
mraymus@yahoo.com
661.588.4400 - phone