17854: Uttley: Re: 17841: Karshan: Press conference

From: Jim & Jan Uttley <juttley5@mts.net>

I'm surprised to read that President Aristide will be going to Mexico for
the
Summit meetings.  Why have not the OAS or the Summit organizers told
Aristide
that he is not welcome the same way the leaders of the Commonwealth
nations
meeting in Nigeria last month told Zimbabwe's President Mugabe that he was
not
welcome.

I hope the Summit leaders give President Aristide a really "talking to"
and a
rebuke.  Whoever heard of a democratic president allowing gangs of thugs
attack demonstrators because they are calling on the leader to resign.

If the Summit leaders don't strongly criticize Mr. Aristide and threaten
severe
measures if he doesn't change his tune, then I hope Aristide's trip to the
Summit is his last outside of Haiti.  I hope he uses that as his "great
escape."

Jim Uttley Jr.