17965: Lonbrit: RE: 17835: Re: 17553: Lemieux: Reuters: Stop paying taxes Haiti opposition urges (fwd)

From: Lonbrit Ayisyen <lonbritayisyen@hotmail.com>

As a suporter of the "opposition, let me tell you that "they've", certainly
DOES NOT apply to me!

Where you refering to any one group in particular, are are you just shooting
the breeze hoping it hits someones fan!?

Those of us in Haiti, who must live some of the consequences of mis-management
of tax money, in an already impoverished nation, have to get up in the morning
looking into a majority of peoples eyes, and see desperation and no hope for a
brighter future.  Don't start critizing any attempt to right a wrong, unless
you are down here doing something.

The vast majority of citizens in Haiti are in fact NOT paying taxes...some
don't have birth certificats, don't have school certificats, have never
registered at a clinic for health services, don't have a legalized business, or
own a environmentally sound home.  Your are right.

A minority of people are having to pay taxes, and the government is trying to
manage a country on very little.No one says it's easy.  I believe everyone
knows the government is not having an easy time of running the country.  What
people are complaining about is what they do with the precious money made
available.

As a taxpayer, I can tell you what upsets me.  It is  having to drive up and
down a road filled with pot holes, that would require fixing, yet no money is
available to the city because new cars are constantly being purchase for
government officials (SUV's run about US$40K ).  Water mains are broken and are
not tended to, causing a loss of precious water. (you know how far people walk
for water in Haiti?)  I truely understand the need for public parks, but do you
know the expense of setting a light post every six feet with three bulbs per
post.  Or have you ever seen the huge flag post set up in the middle of
downtown Port-au-Prince requiring a generator to hoist up the flag?  I could go
on about mis-management of funds, but the scariest is the lack of social
peace.  People in Haiti are fending for themselves...there is no police force
adequate to serve and protect it's people...there is no justice... people are
desperate for order and more importantly are desperate to move towards a
brighter and properous Haiti.

I have no running water, no phone, no public school in the neighborhood, no
clinic, and very little electricity (couldn't tell by my bill). I live in one
of the up scale areas of the capital, yet pay my impots, as well as my payroll
taxes.  I drive a second hand car, and live a very modest life.  I am what you
would refer to as the "they've"...just because I am an opponent to the sitting
government?

Unless you put up with the situation in Haiti like a "tizwit" opposition
here, who are not upper class citizens, but often live in lower middle class
(US) standards, don't make any comment, as you live a comfortable life in the
outside world, where your needs are being met on a daily basis.