18079: Reimer: RE: 18067: White Re: 17969: Laleau: Re: 17950: Burnham: RE: 17943 (fwd)

From: Lin Reimer <reimer@swko.net>

The last cycle of discussion we had on this topic began on October 24,
2003, and ended on October 26 (plus or minus). It ended when two truths
found expression in the last short post by Otello (17066): a truth of
the mind, on one hand, and of the heart, on the other.

I agree with Otello when he said: "Does anyone think people would just
die politely and quietly in the streets and not do anything? There would
be violent revolution and things would change." This is what my head
tells me has to happen in Haiti for things to get better, and in a
frightening way is happening right now. But as Krista says in this post,
it is for the Haitians to solve.

On the other hand, I also agree with Rowley when he said (as quoted by
Otello in that same post): "Too much for me to think about!! I think
I'll keep going, promoting awareness and sending support." This is a
response of the heart. An illustration of this truth is the response of
a young Anglo elementary teacher in PaP who described her motivation for
going to Haiti to teach elementary school as follows: "Haiti sparked my
interest when I went couple of years ago, and has held my attention ever
since. Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere, and the
poverty level that Haitians live at blows my mind. It's something I
can't even begin to imagine. The average Haitian lives on $250 a year.
That's less than a dollar a day. Why this country is in such a desperate
situation is a puzzle that many have tried to put together. I'm hoping
to make a difference in the lives of some 1st graders.... while in Haiti
for a week (on a mission trip), it became apparent that the Haitian
spirit is what keeps them alive; a spirit of hospitality, humor, and
hope. I came from that mission trip wishing I had more Haitian in me."
This is what I would describe as a response of the heart.

I agree with both Otello and Rowley. Because I believe both positions
are true.