18121: (Chamberlain) Caribbean-Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By MICHAEL NORTON

   PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 25 (AP) -- Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide
met the Bahamas' prime minister Sunday and agreed to several proposals by
Caribbean leaders for easing the country's prolonged political crisis.
   Bahamian Prime Minister Perry Christie led a small delegation from the
15-member Caribbean Community on a one-day visit in an effort to break an
impasse that has plunged the country into increasing turmoil.
   Aristide said he "shared" the major points put forward by Christie,
including the need to build a "consensus" government, set up an electoral
council, schedule legislative elections soon and disarm politically
affiliated gangs.
   "I'm looking forward to the implementation of the major steps" in the
near future, Christie said after more than two hours of talks.
   Aristide said he would support forming a new governing council including
members of his party, the opposition and civil society leaders.
   But opposition leaders have refused to participate in new elections
under Aristide or to negotiate with him. They have called for protests, and
in the past four months at least 47 people have been killed during
demonstrations.
   Sunday's meeting came after Christie and other Caribbean leaders hosted
separate talks with the opposition in the Bahamas last week.
   "Our concern is to ensure opposing factions are able to recognize that,
in Haiti's best interests, we must avoid civil strife," Christie said at a
news conference with Aristide after their meeting.