18129: Corbett: The Last Days of Toussaint

Folks, I was organizing my books a bit yesterday and stumbled on an old
volume that I didn't know I had.  It is an autobiography by John Bigelow,
who in the 1880 published a book called The Wit and Wisdom of the Haytian
People.  I have that book both in book form and in the jounal in which it
was serialized in 1880s.

Howeve, I was wondering:  why would I have purchased this book, which must
have been expensive since I have long owned the original texts of that
book of his mentioned in the first paragraph.

So I thumbed through and found this amazing piece on the Last Days of
Toussaint L'Overture (his spelling).  He went to Fort de Joux, and got
access to many records including the autopsy and such and presents it all
in this 6-8 page story.

I have just posted this to my web page.  It is quite interesting reading.

See:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/revolution/bigelow-toussaint.htm

Bob Corbett