18132: Danier: HAITI AFTER ARISTIDE RESIGNATION (fwd)

From: Yves  Danier <yd5@columbia.edu>

IF Aristide were to resign as requested by the opposition, wouldn't that
create a precedent for other parties to call for the nullification and
resignation of future presidents that have been dully elected in Haiti?

What if Aristide resignation sends the country into greater chaos, sending
Aristide or  opposition supporters in a rampage, how does the opposition
intend to deal with that scenario or what is the plan?

There seems to be a blanket accusation against Aristide, which I am not
supporting or defending for i don't know. I have yet to read in details
how the oppositon party will ensure and prevent similar fraud in the
future. Come to think of it, what are the opposition stands on most of the
economic and social issues plaguing the country?

Even if Aristide wants to resign, It seems to me that he cannot because
such decision can send the country into greater chaos even worst civil
war.

If Aristide does not resign, and the oppostion party does not give in,
does the situation remains as is until next presidential election? Is it
the opposition plan to put the pressure now to ensure a defeat of the
lavalas party at the next presidential election?

Is there a legitimate fear that Aristide will send his wife as the next
presidential candidate?

I could go on and on bute there seems to be a lot more questions than
answers behind this conflict.

thanks