18156: Dailey: Tell My Horse

From: Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

Although Tell My Horse is a disappointing work I was interested to learn
recently that it was during her stay in Haiti that Zora Neale Hurston
wrote her
masterpiece Their Eyes Were Watching God. If Horse is unsatisfactory, it
was
not because Ms. Hurston did not take her subject seriously. A recent
collection
contains a letter she writes from Haiti to the head of the Guggenheim
Foundation stating that she had been gravely ill, her malady the result of
the
machinations of a local houngan and a spiteful young African-American
artist
who wishes her ill and is posing as an ethnologist, Ms. Katherine Dunham.

Peter Dailey