18160: Senou: Union (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

On May 18, 1803 at Arcahais our ancestors created the
first Union and six months later Haiti became the
second independent country in this hemisphere. Once
created, the Freedom fighters of Haiti chose
Jean-Jacques Dessalines as their sole leader; with
their support he accomplished his task successfully.
Today we are going to establish a link among the sons
and daughters of Dessalines, Christophe, Petion,
Capois, Toussaint Louverture and so on; 200 years ago
former slaves and slaves were united to fight for our
freedom. Today, we need to unite to provide economic
opportunity for our people, to help them become
successful and good citizen in this great country. In
joining hand together, in working together we will
reiterate another Union and ipso facto pave the way
for another Vertière.  Remember “Union Fait la Force”.

We have been living in the U.S. and other countries
where the principles of democracy are respected. Over
half million of Haitians are currently living in the
U.S. and we are unable to influence the U.S. policy
toward Haitians.

Over half million people in any country is an
impressive force but this force cannot be used if we
are not organized at city, state and national level.
Today we are the living proof of a fragmented society
and we are paying a high price for it.
We shall do something about it; remember a good leader
is a good follower. It cannot be “Me Only” or “Me and
my family and close friends” (me me ou tounin mimi); a
Leader must always strive to the universality no
matter what. Our generation has seen Mr. Nelson
Mandela in action, he created the reconciliation
committee and today South Africa is heading in the
right direction. One person can make a difference my
friends.
Today the Haitian people in the U.S. need to put aside
their indifferences and join hands together to create
a link. Each of you, whether you are a self-appointed
leader or not, are limited only to your neighborhood
and cannot respond to a national problem or an
emergency. And consequently, we cannot really assist
Haiti in this sad moment. An organized Haitian
Community in the U.S. could become a backbone support
for Haiti.

And now
You are invited to attend the Atlanta Convention on
June 25-26 at The Auburn Avenue Research Library on
African-American Culture and History. A Special
Library of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System
*** 101 Auburn Avenue, N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30303

For more info: fire an Email to Alfred at
hcrinfor@hcronline.org

Joseph Alfred, Educator
Founder/CEO
of