18187: (Chamberlain) Haiti-Aristide Talks (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By STEVENSON JACOBS

   KINGSTON, Jamaica, Feb 1 (AP) -- Haitian President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide has vowed to disarm politically affiliated gangs, reform the
police force and implement other measures to end the country's recent
unrest.
   Aristide made the pledge late Saturday after meeting with the 15-member
Caribbean Community, which put forth the measures that included allowing
demonstrators to protest freely and releasing prisoners who have been
detained since a Dec. 5 protest at Haiti's university. Aristide had
outlawed street protests in the capital.
   The Haitian leader also promised to disarm gangs that have caused much
of the violence in support of political parties. He also said he would
reform Haiti's 5,000-member police force and work with the opposition to
appoint a new prime minister.
   "You need good will on both sides," Aristide said following the one-day
visit to Jamaica. "I believe my brothers in the opposition will come
together for the benefit of our country."
   Jamaican Prime Minister P.J. Patterson said most of the reforms should
be carried out within four to six weeks. He declined to outline
consequences if Haiti doesn't comply, but said leaders haven't ruled out
sanctions.
   Aristide also expressed support for a new governing council made up of
members of his government, the opposition and civil society.
   Haiti has been in turmoil since Aristide's Lavalas Family party swept
legislative elections in 2000 that observers said were flawed.
   Aristide has pledged to hold new elections, but the opposition coalition
refuses to participate unless he steps down. Aristide says he will not step
down until his term ends in 2006.
   At least 50 people have been killed since mid-September in clashes
between protesters and police, and protesters and Aristide supporters.
   Bahamian Prime Minister Perry Christie said he hoped the new measures
would encourage the opposition to negotiate.
   "We have to demonstrate a sufficient commitment for change in Haiti to
achieve a level of credibility with the opposition," he said.
   The prime ministers of Trinidad and St. Lucia and observers from the
United States, Canada and the Organization of American States also attended
Saturday's talks.