18186: Leiderman: videotapes of groundbreaking celebration: "Siege of Savannah" monument (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

Videotapes are now available of the recent "Siege of Savannah" monument
groundbreaking ceremony, including speeches, song and dance performances.
The monument will honor the free Haitian soldiers who fought on the
American side during a significant battle in the War for Independence,
October 9, 1779.  Video work was by Dr. Jacques Georges and production
was by Stuart Leiderman.  for copies, e-mail <leidermn@christa.unh.edu>

Excerpts of speeches are included below.

Thank you,

Stuart Leiderman

- - - - - - -

Groundbreaking Ceremony & Celebration for the
1779 "Siege of Savannah" Haitian Soldiers' Monument
Franklin Square, Savannah, Georgia,  6 December 2003

Floyd Adams, Jr., Mayor of Savannah, Georgia -- Good morning.  Welcome to
the most beautiful city in America, Savannah, Georgia. We are here today
to commemorate a good occasion.  On October 9, 1779, Haitian troops fought
in the Siege of Savannah, and we're here todedicate this [Franklin] Square
to the memory of the Haitian troops.  On October 9, 2004, we will
commemorate the 225th anniversary of the Siege of Savannah.  Hopefully,
that monument will be dedicated on that day.  What you do today will make
it happen, because you are going to launch your fundraiserand bring in
every Haitian and every American on board, to support this project

Richard Shinhoster, President of Board, Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights
Museum, Savannah, Georgia -- Good morning, my brothers and sisters.  I
chose to greet you this way because we are brothers and sisters.  We must
identify with this.  Our ancestors, because of the slave trade, were
displaced throughout North America, South America, the Caribbean's.  We do
share a common birth.  It is, therefore, fitting that those of us here who
reside in Savannah, of African descent, must embrace you as you have
embraced America at some point in time.  We are honored to work with the
Haitian American Historical Society, to recognize those brothers who came
to this country to assist this nation in its infancy.  We believe that
this monument will be built. And after you believe thisyou must go back
and encourage your brothers and sisters to join with youto make this
happen in Savannah.

Daniel Fils-Aime, Director, Haitian American Historical Society, Miami,
Florida -- It is a great privilege and honor to stand before you this
morning to say thanks on this historical occasion [and to] honor of our
ancestors who, on October 9, 1779, came to this very city, Savannah,
Georgiato fight and to shed their blood for this great country where we
live today   We've had this movement going on for a long time, and I take
this opportunity to say, "Thank you," to Mayor Floyd Adams, Junior, who is
the engine behind this project.  He did all he could do to put us where we
are right now.  And I know that the new mayor is going to follow that
legacy.  And I know, October 9, 2004, we are going to have a Haitian
monument right here, on this place Savannah is committed for this
monument, in support of us Haitians around the world What they did [225
years ago] is why we are here today.  We are going to put a monument here
to tell the world that we are proud of ourselves and our deeds.  We didn't
come here by boat; we came here in 1779 to this country, to shed our
blood; they were our ancestors, so we must be proud of ourselves!