18302: Vishnusurf: Re: 18291: Goodman: Re: 18260: Esser: Opposition led by Haiti's wealthy

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

another question that is important in this regard: while it is clear that
there
are elites leading one key segment of the opposition, it is wrong to view
the
opposition as a homogenous monolith.  what about the university students?
are
the elites paying them to protest?  having taught at UEH for a couple of
years,
i would readily doubt that altogether.  seems to me that we have elites
riding
another wave of popular discontent with aristide in haiti and so they are
seizing the moment. meanwhile, there are other key members of the
opposition
who hardly qualify as elites... i am talking about veteran and gifted
political
figures who once believed wholeheartedly in aristide and risked their
lives for
him. it is as insulting as it is ignorant to write the opposition off
merely as
bourgeois hatred of ti pe a.

the CARICOM initiative is somewhat of a farce, especially with granderson
running the show... he is quite an elitist himself... why else would he go
haiti to negotiate with "the opposition" and not meet with students? i
once
heard him proclaim that police brutality "is a cultural thing" in haiti.
so
haitian culture is to blame?
lest i sound biased, i should add that "the opposition's" refusal to
negotiate
unless aristide steps down is very, very saddening.  si bagay la pral
avanse,
fok chak kote bay konsesyon...
but WTF do i know?