18333: please post anonymously -- Port-au-Prince Sunday Feb. 8

Bob, I am protecting my sources and need to post anonymously.

10 a.m. Sunday Feb 8, 2004.  News from Port au Prince by telephone.  Many of
the side streets are barricaded in the regions of Carrefour, Diquini and
Martissant in the capital.  People in the neighborhoods to each side of the
Route de Carrefour are not able to leave their neighborhoods and take the
main road.  There are barricades made of burnt-out cars and refrigerators
blocking the side streets.  No one seems to know which "party" has put up
these barricades overnight.  People are telephoning each other to say "Stay
home today, lock yourself in today."  There is no sign of fighting or
demonstrating in these neighborhoods right now.
 In other news from Grand Goave -- the police force there have abandoned
their Commissariat building, have left it empty. Also, news from Jacmel --
the main road into the town of Jacmel is blocked and barricaded, and
tap-taps or trucks coming from the capital cannot get in.